Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Running, with or without my heels

HEATHER MAHER
When I was a little girl my mother always used to tell me “If you’re pretty on the inside, you’ll be pretty on the outside”. This simplified sentiment that “it’s what is on the inside that counts”, came to mind recently when I was busy fixing my makeup in the mirror before going out.

I have spent a considerable amount of time critiquing my body. I have fought the constant, nagging feeling that what I’ve got going on is just not enough. Some parts wiggle, some sag. For years I felt pressure to look a certain way and to be ashamed if I didn't fit within the tiny box of what is socially acceptable. When I went out on the weekends and didn’t put on the cute dress and make up, I felt I wasn't doing what women are supposed to do.
I was supposed to buy into the photoshopped images by manufacturing industries trying to make a few bucks at women’s expense.  Even after becoming aware that a lot of my body negativity was created by popular culture’s unattainable beauty standards, I still struggled with accepting my physical self. I was beating myself up for what reason? Who was benefitting from my internal struggle? Was it making me happier? Did this self-hatred give me more friends or make me more successful?

Several months ago, in an attempt to improve my image of self, I decided to try viewing my body from a different angle. Keeping things like appreciation and doing what feels good in mind, I have found ways to quiet the demons.

How many amazing things can my body do? So many. I have scaled seemingly impossible, rocky cliffs and marveled at the view from the top. I ride my bike effortlessly everyday in this superb southwest city. If I wanted to run a marathon, I know that my body would take me there. The privilege that comes with being an able bodied woman can lead to taking the simplest of things for granted. Not everyone can climb a flight of stairs or even get out of bed. Remembering how lucky I am to be able to do limitless things with my body makes the extra squish around my thighs inconsequential.

When I began to focus on what was beneficial for my body and mind more than what I thought made me look good to others, I found a well of confidence. I made the decision to be the only voice telling me whether or not what’s in the mirror is okay. This choice truly made me feel happier and more beautiful.
I know that exercising regularly makes me feel strong and reduces my stressors. Drinking water before my coffee in the mornings helps me wake up and I start my day out alert. Getting tipsy and eating an entire bag of cheese popcorn on the light rail with my friend feels pretty damn amazing too.

This isn’t to say that I don’t enjoy getting dolled up, because I do sometimes. Occasionally, those stereotypical “girly” things do make me feel good. What changed was the source of validation. Before, it was all about doing what looked right to the world. My thoughts on my appearance only mattered in how best I could identify a “problem area” and attack it. Who cared if I couldn’t walk in those shoes, to forgo them was not an option.

Now, if I change something after looking in the mirror, it is because I truly want to, to please myself. My goal is to feel good about the choices I make with my body and I love all the things I can do with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment