Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Coming to terms: bodies through generations

KIMBERLY MACEACHERN
My mom taught me many things: the golden rule, self-reliance, the importance of laughter and, above all else, to hold your stomach in for God sake. Now, in my late 50's and after 34 years of marriage, I still worry if my stomach protrusion is showing. This is a challenge because I don't like billowy clothing.

I have been mislabeled as "big-boned." I get that from the Teutonic stock that produced my maternal grandmother-a classy and curvaceous woman who was obsessed with the rolls of fat on her back, despite the fact that they proved no impediment whatsoever to attracting intelligent and accomplished men.

My paternal grandmother was one of 9 girls who came in all shapes and sizes, giving me hope as a child that I might end up like the skinny ones. Concurrently I harbored a fear, no doubt buoyed by my mother's abdominal admonition, that I would follow the great aunt with the belly so big she could not cross her legs. (Don't get me wrong -I love and respect this powerful woman who was extremely self confident.)

You might think I must be scarred for life by these combinations of body imaging and you would be right. I have rarely felt "comfortable in my own skin". Like almost all women I suffer from a poor self-image, bodily speaking.  I am off the charts for weight and always have been.
Due in part to dense bones I am just plain heavy; so much so that I have never been a runner; but I can walk all day long.

Unlike most I don't see this as negative. Being a glass half full person I am grateful to my mother for instilling in me this focus on frontal fat. As a result I am very intent on healthful living. Virtually every week of my life I have exercised at least 3 times: there was the volleyball period, racquetball period, 20 years of aerobics, kundalini yoga, hiking, and on and on.

The other thing my upbringing imparted is a love for food and lots of it. Those Germans could cook and on the other side Mexican food was a staple. Drawing on the modeling of independent research my mother also exhibited, throughout my life I have paid a great deal of attention to all aspects of food-where it comes from, what it does to and for us, and the best places to buy it fresh. I figure that we have to eat so we might as well do it in the most optimal way. I ride my bike to the farmer's market every Saturday morning to fill in the holes of the CSA share I pick up on Wednesdays.

Bottom line is that I am the picture of health; I have no prescriptions and rarely get sick or go to the doctor. Every time I do go I am admonished to do the South Beach diet based solely on my height/weight numbers. I am not impressed with such a one-size fits all approach.

Given the longevity of the hearty women in my ancestry on both sides, and given that I don't drink sweet drinks, eat mostly fruits and vegetables, don't smoke, drink only in moderation and regularly exercise
(which ironically has actually caused my abs to get even bigger), I still gaze at my navel daily with dismay and likely will do so well into my 90's.  And I can totally live with that, thanks to Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment